Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Richest, Most Powerful City in the History of the World

Is New York City, so I'm told. I would have guessed Ancient Rome, Medieval Paris, or Victorian London, but I'm apparently wrong. Where did I learn this grandiose information, you ask? Why on a Circle Line cruise, of course!

Today, James, Stephanie, and I, not wanting to wait 3.5 HOURS to take a tour of the USS Iwo Jima (though I would desperately have loved to had the wait not been so long - and had the line not been on a concrete pier in the direct sunlight), decided instead to take a 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) aaaaaaaallllllll the way around the island of Manhattan. Let me say this: it was a terrific idea. It was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out on the water. Lots of sun, a nice stiff breeze, and clear skies. And the views were unparalleled. I have to say, coming into New York Harbor with the Statue of Liberty to port and the full might of downtown Manhattan directly ahead, I can understand where the tour narrator was coming from when he proclaimed New York's pre-eminence among world cities.

Starting around 42nd on the Hudson, the cruise took us south into the harbor to Liberty Island for a quick photo op, and then made its way up the East River, past Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx. It really puts not only the scope of the city, but also the diversity into sharp relief. While the whole tour was really worthwhile, my favorite part was the northernmost tip of Manhattan which is literally covered in trees - you'd never know that you were in New York - and then passing under the Henry Hudson Bridge and the Amtrak bridge back into the Hudson River. The view of the George Washington Bridge framed by the lush Palisades, with the skyscrapers of Manhattan tiny in the distance, was simply majestic.

The three hours passed far too quickly, and we soon found ourselves back at Pier 84, never having seen more of the Iwo Jima than it's stern as we passed it and the USS Intrepid. Ah well. Fleet Week 2012, I guess.

All I can say is this: whether you are just visiting the city or a native New Yorker who has lived here for years, if you have a few hours free on a nice day, you should consider this boat tour. It's well worth it!

Keep calm and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment