Thursday, June 10, 2010

Update! (No, I can't think of a more creative title)

So, it seems that I'm falling into an every other day pattern with this blog. This is good, because it allows me to keep you updated without obsessing over it. It's also bad, because my short term memory is terrible, and it's hard to remember what's happened. I was expecting to work hard this summer, but I don't think I was quite prepared for the breakneck speed at which things at the Atlantic work (except for my computer, which may be the slowest machine on the planet).

So yesterday, I continued the great quest for ushers. You wouldn't believe how desperately these people email in to be put on the wait list, practically begging to be notified as soon as a spot becomes available, and emailing again indignantly if they don't get a wait list confirmation within an hour. And then when I email them with an opening, they take 3 days to get back to me. It makes me very sad. I had to email blast the entire usher list yesterday, twice, and still didn't manage to find an usher for GABRIEL.

Which is an excellent segue to me actually seeing GABRIEL last night! I'm really glad I finally got to see it, particularly after spending a week and a half around the set and actors, and meeting the playwright and director. The Reader's Digest version of the play is this: The British Channel Isles were given up to the Germans during WWII due to being closer to France than they are to England. On the Island of Guernsey, a young man washes up on the beach, naked (and thus unidentifiable), and speaks both perfect English and German. The British family who takes him in believe he is an RAF pilot, and the Nazi major who is in love with the British mother thinks he is an SS officer that was lost at sea. It was a chilling tale of uncertainty. I was particularly impressed by Zach Grenier's performance as Major von Pfunz. He was spectacular.

Anyway, today was interesting, and a nice change from the routine. I've now been officially trained to fill house seat orders, so that is one of my new tasks. It's a cool look at a very insider aspect of theater that not many people are privy to. I was also asked to sit in on a meeting with Aaron, Jamie (GM), Ryan (the Marketing Director), and Jeff (Managing Director) about the Dusk no-shows, using the report that I created as the primary document. When I say I was asked to sit in, that's really all it was. I was not invited for my insights (though Aaron did ask me later what I thought), but it's cool experience anyways.

The next part of (and lion's share) of my day was to serve as overseer for a photo shoot taking place at the main stage utilizing the GABRIEL actors. Amy Arbus, who is apparently a famous photographer (or it might be a photographer who is related to someone famous) set up the shoot, and since it wasn't technically an Atlantic photo shoot, contractually the stage managers could not be involved, and the actors were there as volunteers. Gotta love Equity rules. Anyhow, I was on hand to be the "representative of the company", which involved some heavy lifting and having the cast fill out waivers. It was cool to watch the shoot, however, and it got me out of the office for a bit. The one downside was that it lasted until 7:00. Boo for that!

But, I did make a nice discovery upon my return to Brooklyn: an Italian import store on 7th Ave.! I got homemade lasagna, fresh bread, limonata, and tiramisu, all for less than the burger I was considering across the street. Eating good Italian food on the couch watching TV, can't get much better than that. Unless of course it's with Shannon. Whom I miss terrible every second of the day.

Ok, folks, tomorrow, I am off to Maryland for my cousin Adam's high school graduation party. Catching the 3:00 Acela, and should be back on Sunday. You probably won't hear from me for a few days, so have a nice weekend!

1 comment: