Anyone catch the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang reference? I want to be Grandpa when I grow up, walking around in pajamas and a pith helmet, having tea with imaginary maharajas in an outhouse.
Anyway! I'm back from London! It was a loooooong day yesterday, during which I was awake for something like 22 hours thanks to the time zone difference, but it was a pretty good day. I got up early so that I could shower and pack and still have time to go out. Took another stroll to Primrose Hill (this time alone) so that I could get a better view in the clearer weather (it was pretty rainy and cloudy the first time I went), and then stopped at one of the many cafes on Regents Park Road for breakfast. I then walked down to Camden Town and the Camden Lock neighborhood, which, if I had to compare it to anything would be like a British version of the Straw Market in Nassau, Bahamas, but on two sides of a street instead of in a big hangar. It was an eclectic mix of knock-off shops, food stalls, and an unusual number of shops selling what had to be steampunk clothing. It was very goth-like, but seemed to be way expensive and far to Victorian and occasionally colorful to be regular goth fare.
After a quick goodbye chat with Bash, I made my way (very early) to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express to, of all places, Heathrow! What an unpleasant experience being at that airport was. I was misdirected to the wrong terminal, and had to go back, which was no mean feat and required taking a legit train for about 5 minutes. Security was particularly grumpy and inefficient, and then I had a 15 minute, probably mile-long HIKE to get to my gate. I was shocked at how far away it was from the main concourse. However, happily, the flight was extremely comfortable. On the way out we were on an older 757, but coming back was a relatively new 777 which was much more comfortable and more well-appointed. They treat you well on international transatlantic flights, and I watched a lot of good movies. A long stay in Dulles for my layover (complete with a sandwich from one of my favorites, Potbelly Sandwich Works!), and then a stupidly delayed puddle jumper flight to Pittsburgh, finally getting me home and in my bed at around 12:30am, at which time I promptly conked out.
Today was spent trying to get my bearings and catch up on being abroad for so long, unpacking my bags....and repacking them. Because I'm going to Houston tomorrow..... And have to wake up in 4 hours....... This makes me sad. But I got mysteriously (and probably mistakenly) upgraded to first class! So that makes up for the abysmal hour I'm leaving and the fact that I'd really rather just not go.
So, my friends, I bid you goodnight, and good hunting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment