So, I'm going to propose that the massive population of New York City is entirely related to the fact that this was were most of the immigrant population in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was dropped off, and therefore decided to stay. If that wasn't the case, then I posit that not that many people would live here. Because the weather is absolutely terrible.
It was 96 degrees today. And then there was a torrential downpour. And all that did was make it humid. I have never been in New York when there has been more than a day or two of pleasant weather. It seems to be fairly regularly too hot or too cold. I routinely say that when Pittsburgh has a nice day of weather that if we had 100 more days like it there would be another million people living there. Somehow, New York seems to have avoided that, and people want to live here even though it's literally miserable. I'm told it's the center of the universe though, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Don't get me wrong, New York is a really neat place. But it would be even better if the weather was nicer.
Anyway, not much is new in my life. I've been experiencing a stint of insomnia, and have gone to bed after sunrise the past 3 days. No fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey - I like hearing your studied theories (with a mix of field work/clinical mixed in). Keep it coming
ReplyDelete